
I had not been to London since I started the course so I was excited to go back and visit the museums with a new perspective.
First we went to the Design Museum. I found this really interesting as it had all kinds of areas of design which is similar to the Sion Hill campus but on a higher level. There was a lot of interesting work on architecture of the future. I found this really inspiring because there was such a high level of detail from things like where the actual building would go and how exactly the space would be used. There was also some work on fashion and furniture. I really like the furniture and lighting ideas. I liked the work at the museum but I was disappointed that they hadn't even considered having a digital design section.
In the afternoon we went to the Tate. I was surprised how big it was. It really had every kind of work there. I found something inspiring on every floor ranging from sculpture and paintings to creatively-shot video and sound installations.
We finished the trip with a visit to Harrods to explore how London's most prestigious department store presents itself. I found it to be a little tacky. The Egyptian style elevator was a very random installation and had no reason to be there. We also looked at some of the packaging and how the space in the shop was used. It was very easy to get lost in there. I personally found Harrods to be have a cheap and tacky appearance which wasn't well suited to the products they were trying to sell.
I really enjoyed going back to London with a more developed artistic perspective and it is definitely worth it to keep going back there to see new exhibits.